Healthy Tips | Articles & News
Breakfast in a Flash: One Minute Breakfast Ideas
*Benefits of Breakfast:
- Forty years of breakfast studies have shown that when children have breakfast they are:
- More alert
- Participate more fully in school activities
- Score better on tests
- Less likely to be easily distracted
- Regular breakfast eaters tend to consume less fat, more fiber and more whole grains throughout the day than those that skip breakfast.
- Fiber and whole grains independent of their fiber content have been shown to help improve cholesterol levels.
A Breakfast that Satisfies:
- Combine whole grains or fiber rich foods with protein for staying power.
- Focus on getting important nutrients, calcium and vitamin D.
- Bring on the fruit; throw in the veggies for important nutrient benefits.
One Minute Breakfast Ideas:
- High fiber cereal, skim milk and fruit.
- Fat free yogurt, almonds and fresh fruit.
- Whole wheat English muffin toasted, hard-boiled egg, fruit and skim milk.
- Whole grain waffle with peanut butter and fruit, skim milk.
- Fresh fruit and veggie smoothie – your choice frozen fruit, throw in some veggies and skim milk. Blend.
- Blue Banana Smoothie- 8 oz skim milk, 1/2 cup frozen banana slices, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (190 calories, 1 g fat, 4 g fiber).
- Smoothie boosts: Spinach, oatmeal, flax.
- Instant oatmeal with 100 calorie or less mix in, skim milk and optional fruit.
- Mix-ins: Fruit (fresh or dried), nuts, peanut butter.