Healthy Tips | Articles & News
Fruits and Vegetables - More Matters
- What is Fruits & Veggies – More Matters?
- Fruits & Veggies More Matters is a national partnership that was created to help Americans eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables is important for every day health and may help reduce the risk of stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes and some cancers.
- Fruits & Veggies More Matters was launched in 2007. It replaced the 5 a day campaign.
- This national campaign provides information on how to include more servings of fruits and vegetables in our diets.
- How many fruits and vegetables do I need?
- 2 to 6 1/2 cups of fruits and vegetables a day depending on age, gender and activity level. Go to fruitsandveggiesmatters.gov to learn the amount that’s right for you.
- In general, 1 cup of raw or cooked vegetables or 100% vegetable juice, or 2 cups of raw leafy greens can be considered as 1 cup from the vegetable group. One cup of fruit or 100% fruit juice, or 1/2 cup of dried fruit can be considered as 1 cup from the fruit group.
- Why should I join America’s More Matters Pledge to fight obesity?
- The obesity rate in American children has tripled in the last 30 years. More than 60% of adults and nearly one in every 3 children are obese
- Individuals and organizations can go to www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org and pledge to eat at least one more fruit or veggie every day, fill half their plate with fruits and veggies at every meal or help their school provide more fruit and vegetable options
- Every pledge is a step closer to your family being healthy for life. Join America’s More Matters Pledge to fight obesity and make a difference in your family and community!