Hidden Sugars in the DietEat Healthy
How much sugar do you eat each day? The American Heart Association recommends no more than 6 tsp/day for women and 9 tsp/day for men from added sugars. One tip to remember when visiting the grocery store is 1 tsp of sugar equals 4 grams. Look at food labels to figure out how much sugar is contained in the products you eat each day!
To decrease the sugar in your diet:
- Cut out soda and other sugar sweetened beverages.
- Put whole fruit in oatmeal or on pancakes instead of using sugar or syrup.
- Decrease the sugar in recipes by 1/3 or ½. Increase sweetness by increasing extracts (vanilla, almond, orange, and lemon). Cinnamon is a great way to increase sweetness.
- Choose snacks like fresh fruits, vegetables with hummus or a handful of nuts instead of candy, cookies or granola bars.
- Make your own pasta sauce.
- Choose water! Flavor with lemon, lime, cinnamon sticks, fresh mint, or orange slices.