Simple Ways to Be Active
Most people do not get enough exercise in their ordinary daily routines. Yet our bodies need activity to promote good health and to keep off excess weight. Satisfying this need requires a definite plan and a commitment.
Our bodies are made to move, so when you aren't getting enough activity your body isn't as healthy as it can be. Being active helps you with more than just losing weight, it helps you sleep better, improves your mood, helps you think better, and helps you just feel healthier all around.
Start a regular exercise program if you do not have one already.
- Walk, take stairs, every day activities
- Vary your activity for success. FITT (Frequency, Intensity, Type, Time)
Choose activities you enjoy
- Swim, dance, workout, hike, play, etc.
- Include family and friends. Doing something with others can make your activity more enjoyable and you can help one another stick to it.
Track your activity and celebrate milestones.
- Start a chart or log to write down how many minutes of physical activity you do each day. Studies show that tracking helps people stay focused and reach their goals
Cut down on:
- Watching TV
- Computer games
- Sitting for more than 10 minutes at a time
|Leisure Activities - 2-3 times a week:
|Flexibility & Strength - 3-5 times a week:
Aerobic Activities - 30 minutes or more - 4-5 times per week
Recreational Activities - 30 minutes or more - 2-3 times per week
|Everyday … As much as possible
How can you burn off some of those extra calories before they turn into extra pounds ? Calculate how many calories you burn doing your favorite exercise or activity.
Sources: Carrie Poulson, Health Promotion Specialist, SelectHealth Health and Wellness