Winning With Asthma
- On an average team of 10, it is expected that at least one athlete will have asthma.
- Approximately eight percent of children aged 18 and under have asthma.
Source: Health Status Survey, 2004
Asthma is a serious disease.
- There is no cure for asthma, but it can be managed.
- Asthma is one of the most common chronic diseases among children.
- Asthma is a leading cause of missed school days (and in this case, sports practices and games) in the United States.
Utah received funding in late 2001 and created the Utah Asthma Program and Utah Asthma Task Force to address asthma from a public health perspective. In late 2004, the Utah Asthma Task Force began discussing the need to educate coaches, PE teachers and referees about asthma and how to assist their athletes with the chronic disease. In the developmental process, the task force has collaborated with the Minnesota Department of Health/Asthma Program, professional team coaches and multiple community organizations, to develop a web based, interactive web-based educational program.